Experience recovery & relaxation in our new Float Pod
Experience peace, mindfulness and complete physical relaxation in the Lifestyle Physio Dreampod. Our float room is designed to take you away from the hustle and bustle of busy life, where you can enjoy being weightless, with no external distractions.
Floating involves lying in a tank filled with body temperature water and enough Epsom salts to keep you buoyant, letting your mind and body relax for 60 minutes.
Floating was developed in the 1950’s /60’s and was initially thought of as hippy and alternative, however the health benefits are becoming more widely talked about and floating, just like acupuncture and meditation is now considered more mainstream.
- When you arrive, you will be taken through to the float room, where we will ask all the necessary questions, explain the floating process, and then leave you in privacy to enjoy your experience.
- You will shower before you enter the pod to rinse off anything that may be on your skin or in your hair to ensure the pod hygiene is maintained.
- Once you step in to the pod, you will close the lid and lie back and start to float (no you do not need bathing attire, and you will not sink).
- There will be gentle music playing and some lighting initially, which will be turned off to allow you to float in sensory deprivation.
- The water is maintained at body temperature, and filled with Epsom Salts to allow you to float effortlessly with full relaxation
- It may take you some time to allow your mind and body to fully relax and move in to a meditative state – this is very normal
- Toward the end of your float, gentle music will start to play again and the lighting will change to bring you back to the present.
- Once you step out of the pod, you will shower to wash the salt from your hair and body with our organic products.
- We have an area outside of the float room to be able to apply any finishing touches, to ensure we are able to clean and prepare the room.
- We recommend you hydrate with water following your float, and you are welcome to take some time to relax in our waiting room before you leave.
Please arrive 10 minutes before your float time to allow us to ensure you are ready and can maximise the floating benefits.
Prior to your float we recommend that you:
- Do not shave or wax the day of your float
- Do not float if you have any skin irritation, open wounds, or cuts (Vaseline is provided to minimise stinging if you do have some minor skin irritation or dermatitis
- Do not float on a full or empty stomach
- Try not to have caffeine 3-4 hours before you float
- Remove all make up before entering the float pod
To maximise the benefits following your float we recommend that you:
- Stay well hydrated
- Avoid caffeine
- Minimise processed foods and eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Stay make up free for the rest of the day
Everyone has a different floating experience. It can take some people a few sessions to be able to completely relax, and experience all the benefits of floating so we recommend you float three times to allow your mind and body to adapt. Regular floating will help to maximise benefits and maintain balance.
- Relieve stress and anxiety
- Reduce muscle stiffness and soreness
- Improve sleep
- Restore energy (one hour of floating is comparable to 6-8 hours of sleep)
- Improves circulation
- Restores balance
- Aids in recovery and rehabilitation
- Helps relieve jet lag
- Improves mental clarity
Floating in complete silence and darkness results in sensory deprivation which minimises the activity in the brain. Add to this the high concentration of Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) and water that stays constantly at body temperature, the body can float effortlessly and both the nervous and musculoskeletal systems are able to relax. As you continue to float, the body can move in to a meditative state which allows the mind and body to fully relax in a way that you cannot achieve with the constant sights and sounds of the outside world. There is very little hard scientific evidence that looks at float therapy, however the processes of the brain have been extensively looked at, and helps to explain how the theory of floating works.
The brain secretes a number of different neuro chemicals that influence thoughts, feelings, behaviour, and physiological processes in the body. In a relaxed state, the amount of endorphin’s released from the brain increases. Endorphin’s are associated with feelings of pleasure, and happiness, and are continued to be released when you are in these states. In a relaxed and meditative state, the amount of Adrenalin, norepinephrine, ACTH, and cortisol, which are related to stress and anxiety, are also reduced.
An increase in blood flow and the work of the lymphatic system helps to improve circulation and speed up recovery and healing times.
Floating is fantastic for those with high stress jobs, chronic pain, during pregnancy, athletes, trouble sleeping, and people who feel they would benefit from being able to take some time out and relax.
- You are able to float if you are pregnant, however it is recommended that you consult your GP or midwife first
- The weightlessness can help relieve pregnancy related back and pelvic pain
- Reduces stress (through the release of endorphin’s and balance of cortisol levels)
- Can help improve sleep
- Reduction in cortisol levels can help reduce muscle pain and soreness, aiding in recovery time
- Floating before an event can help with visualisation and improve mental clarity
- Increases endorphin levels
- Improves circulation
- Helps to remove lactic acid
Mind & Body
- Increase in endorphin levels relate to the feelings of happiness and along with other physiological processes can balance the natural levels of hormones in the body to help with pain, anxiety, and stress levels
- The temperature of the water (body temperature) makes it almost impossible to know what part of your body is in or out of the water when you float. Along with the silence and darkness, your body is in a state of sensory deprivation which means the areas of the brain which is normally overloaded through the day with light and noise, is not processing as much information and can allow you to go in to a Theta state. This state is one of tranquility and calmness, and can allow full relaxation.
Unfortunately you cannot float if you:
- Have just shaved or waxed
- Have had a spray tan or used tanning products three days prior to your float
- Have recently dyed your hair (please ask us for more details regarding this)
- Have a tattoo that is not fully healed
- Have any open wounds, herpes, or infectious diseases
- Are breastfeeding or menstruating
- Are incontinent or have diarrhoea
- Are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Have epilepsy
- Have serious heart conditions or kidney disease
- Have allergies to salts
Single 90-minute Float: $90 (normally $100)
3 x 90-minute Float Concession: $240
4 x 90-minute Float Concession: $320 (plus your 5th Float is free)
Your Float experience includes 60 minutes of floating, and 30 minutes to shower before and after. A bath towel, and organic hair and body products are provided for your shower.
See our Float Pod in action: